An email campaign is a set of arrangement about marketing efforts which gives multiple recipients at once and at the most appropriate time with valuable content and best offers via emails in order to build good and trustful relationships. In another way, we can say that Email campaigns are also composed of several rounds of messages meant to increase familiarity and trust around a product or service.
Types of email campaigns:
- Welcome email: The first email you send after a new lead subscribes or signs up.
- Holiday email: Holiday-season specific email campaigns, like Christmas emails.
- Invitation email: Emails to send invites to specific events.
- Seasonal email: Includes emails for various seasons, like spring offers or winter sale types.
- Newsletter: Normal newsletter emails on a regular basis.
- Announcement email: Emails to announce a new launch or a special discount or any such update.
- Cross-selling email: Emails to cross-sell other relevant add-on services to existing customers.
- Upselling email: Emails to encourage customers to upgrade.
- Anniversary email: Specific date-based emails for your users, like an anniversary. Such emails are yearly.
- Reactivation email: Emails to reactivate expired accounts or services.
- Testimonial request email: Emails to request user feedback to create user-generated content.
- Abandoned shopping cart email: Emails to encourage shoppers to return and complete their purchase flow.
What makes an email campaign successful?
The very first to-do is to build proper segments. Segments form the crux of your email campaigns. Inside Aritic PinPoint, you can build both static and dynamic segments. With Static segments, these are flat segments that have no filters or conditions. On the contrary, dynamic segments have conditions or filters that help you build behavior-based segments.
We highly recommend dynamic segments for your marketing strategy as these segments keep your emails relevant and personalized.
It is not just segments that form the core of your email campaigns, there are several other key elements that are essential. To get started with email campaigns inside Aritic PinPoint (and that too, a successful one), here are a few things you must know about:
- Email configuration settings inside Aritic PinPoint
- Segmentation, contact tags, and custom fields
- Email template builder and design studio inside Aritic PinPoint
- Email personalization
- Email tracking, measuring, and monitoring
So, let’s get started.
(1) Email Configuration Settings inside Aritic PinPoint
Email configuration settings have to be set up properly for your email campaigns to function smoothly. These settings determine your email sending IP address, sender’s name, delivery servers, default timezone, date formats, proxies, and more.
You can set up all these from the Settings option > System Settings > Advanced Settings > Email Settings.
Resources to help you handle email settings:
- Getting started with Aritic
- What is mail owner settings?
- Setting up unsubscribe email preferences
- Configuring URL shortener
(2) Segmentation, contact tags, and custom fields
Now that your initial settings are done, you are ready to get started with the first step of doing an email campaign – contacts. If you have an existing contact list, you will first need to import it inside Aritic PinPoint.
You can import your existing list of Contacts via a user interface from a CSV file. You can either import in the browser or you can let a background job do it. Our preferred option to import in live browser mode. Follow the guides to import contacts inside Contacts in Aritic PinPoint.
- Import existing contacts inside Aritic PinPoint
- Import a select field inside Contacts
- At times, you may also have contacts that are a part of your DND list. You can import contacts as a ‘Do-Not-Disturb’ list. Learn how: Import contacts as do-not-disturb contacts.
- Inside Aritic PinPoint, you can import Boolean Fields inside Contacts. Boolean Fields are fields that can have only two possible values: True Or False.
Inside Aritic PinPoint, you can also manually create a contact. Learn how. We recommend importing contacts inside Static segments only. This is to ensure that all contact properties stay intact until the entire import is complete. Once you have imported or added all your contacts to your database, you can start building dynamic segments.
Segmentation is essential for your email campaigns to give results. It is the base with which you can trigger personalized email campaigns. If your contacts are not segmented properly, you will not be able to send out relevant campaigns. This will, in turn, affect your email conversion rates.
Inside Aritic PinPoint, you can use contact tags and custom fields to create accurate segments. Contact tags are information tags that are added to a contact. These tags contain contact information that is subjected to change based on user behavior. For instance, tags like buyer’s stage or current activity will change based on contact’s activity. Custom fields, on the other hand, are more permanent data that will seldom get changed. For instance, details like birth date or name or email address are likely to never change. Using both contact tags and custom fields, you can accurately segment your contacts.
Aritic PinPoint comes with various default custom fields. However, you can always build a new custom field and ensure that you turn on the ‘show on segments’ option to see it while building a segment or modifying one. Here are some resources that will help you get into the details of segmentation, tags, and custom fields.
- Getting started with contact segments
- Guide to dynamic contact segmentation
- Using advanced segment conditions
- Segmentation using contact tags and custom fields
- When to use contact tags and when to use custom fields?
Aritic PinPoint helps in tracking anonymous visitors using browser fingerprint technology. You can build a segment consisting of only anonymous visitors to trigger re-engagement ad campaigns.
Once your segments are ready, you need to shift your focus to building an email template for your campaigns.
(3) Email template builder and advanced design studio inside Aritic PinPoint
Aritic PinPoint has a library of ready-to-use templates that you can customize in minutes.
Email templates are available under Assets option in the left panel on your dashboard. Learn how to get started with a new email template inside Aritic PinPoint.
The new email design studio hosts options to simply drag and drop elements like GIF, social follow, dynamic content, along with images, image cards, and text. These are some of the basic design settings. Here you will also find a code mode option using which you can alter the HTML codes of the layout. However, if you wish to make advanced changes, then you must check our Advanced Design studio. Click on the bright blue button of Advanced Design.
The Advanced Design panel looks like this:
On the top right corner, you can see the ‘all’ icon is selected. There are four icons altogether: paintbrush icon i.e. Style Manager, settings icon i.e. Settings, list icon i.e. Layer Manager, and ‘all i.e. Email Blocks. First, we will see all the general settings of this designer.
This design panel is also pretty easy to use. You have the option to handle the typography, decorations, and dimension. Simply click on the Style Manager icon on the top, as shown below to set the ‘Class(es)’ first. Class selection means selecting the section in your template that you want to edit.
Following this, you can now make changes in dimensions, typography, and decorations. For example, in the sample below, you can see the Class code inserted and the relevant class is highlighted in the template. If you look at the top left corner, you will see three icons – that of a desktop, mobile, and tablet. These indicate the viewing options, i.e. how your template will look in each of these screen types.
Below is an overview of the Typography and Decoration panel.
There is also a code icon on the top. This option lets you copy the code and use it wherever you want. Once you are done with all the edits, you can click on Save and Close to save your template and use it for your email campaign.
While selecting a template theme, you can also directly opt for a Blank template or a code-mode template to build your template from scratch or insert pre-defined HTML code. Then you can head to the studio to make modifications if required.
- Learn about HTML Email formatting design guide.
The following steps describe how a single Email campaign works inside Aritic PinPoint. Segment based email campaign is a feature which allows you to communicate with a segment list of emails filtered as per your requirement such as contact field, specific date, time and for a wide range of uses such as the newsletter, event updates and more. Segment based emails cannot be used in an automation campaign, but they are incredibly valuable for “one-off” messaging.
Building a Segment Email
Start with selecting Campaigns > Email Campaign > New
Select your choice of theme and start editing your email template by clicking on Email Template Studio.
Once you have finished editing your email template, click on Apply to save your edits and return to continue building your segment email campaign.
Click on General Tab to add additional information like Email name, internal name, owner details, categories like educational emails or promotional emails, CONTACT SEGMENTS like recent viewers, pricing page visitors, customers, landing page signups (and more). You can also set options for Unsubscription for your users by mentioning the segment from which they will be unsubscribed. You can read more on this on the Preference Center document. To track your email, mention the UTM tags as well.
Proceed to the next tab Advance to finish the campaign building. In the Advanced settings, you can set up a custom header for your email campaign.
Other help documents:
- Setting up translated email
- Understanding different labels inside Email Template builder
- Setting up email sending time or send time optimization
- Setting up the priority of email campaigns as low, medium or high.
Once you are done setting these up, you can save and close to return to the main page. Click on Apply to implement your changes and exit.
(4) Email Personalization
From the beginning, we have mentioned that segments are essential to driving personalized email campaigns. But what are personalized email campaigns?
Personalized email campaigns are those that are hyper-targeted and highly relevant to its recipients. It largely depends on how a user behaves, its current buying stage, its browsing pattern, and user information. Such emails consist of relevant content, call-to-action-buttons, and click-through links that can activate a user from one buying stage to another.
Inside Aritic PinPoint, you can use multiple email actions, conditions, and decisions to build relevant and behavior-driven drip email campaigns. For instance, below is a drip series for ‘cart abandonment reminder’ situation.
In the example above, you can see how contact tags are being used and how each tag modification is scheduled based on how a particular user engages after adding an item to their shopping cart. This email is delivered to only those users who have added something to their cart but did not make a purchase. Since segmentation is dynamic inside Aritic PinPoint, all such users are segmented together. This is what personalization looks like.
You can do more than just schedule relevant drips. In the above example scenario, you can include item details with price moderations (As applicable) inside each mail based on exactly what your users have added in their carts. We call this ‘Dynamic Content’ that changes as per user behavior.
- Get started with email personalization using our email personalization starter kit.
Using dynamic content in emails
Your contacts inside Aritic PinPoint expect relevant and personalized content, both online and offline. Hence, it is evident you will want to leverage your email campaigns to provide a 1:1 experience that will exceed your customers’ expectations. By inserting dynamic content in your email, you can create such an experience for your customers across multiple devices. It is no more only about using their first name in the email subject line after all.
Dynamic content can be added in two ways inside Aritic PinPoint:
- Using the code mode theme.
- Using the Dynamic Content element in the email studio builder for all other themes.
Adding dynamic content using code mode:
On the new email template builder page, select the ‘Code mode’ theme and click on ’email template studio.
In the template builder, you will need to paste your HTML code on the code page. On the left, you will see a preview of how your template looks. Once done, save the changes and return to the ‘new email campaign’ page, and click on Dynamic Content to set up content variations.
In the Default section, your original content should be there. Next, you need to start creating ‘variations’. You will need to add filters in order to instruct what will trigger a variant content. Once you are done, click on Save and close to save all changes to your email template.
Using Email Template Studio Builder to add dynamic content
As shown in the above examples earlier, the email template builder has a dynamic content element that you can drag and drop inside your email template. Once you have added the element, you will need to click on the edit icon on the element box to start adding content variations.
On clicking on the edit icon, the following setting page opens up. In the Default tab, your original content goes in. On the right-hand top area, you will find Add variant option.
Click on Add Variant option to start adding variations along with applicable filters. Once you are done, simply close the Settings windows. If you no more design changes to make to your template, click on Save and close to save all changes.
More on email personalization:
- How to personalize email subject lines
- Using emojis inside emails
- Using TWIG blocks inside email templates with advanced scripting
- Important email builder tags and tokens for email personalization
- Creating custom email campaign footers
(5) Email tracking, measuring, and monitoring
Email tracking and monitoring enable you to do email campaigns better. By tracking email metrics like open rates, bounce rates, click-throughs, and more you can analyze if your emails are driving engagement.
The first thing you need to figure out is the number of emails you will send in one drip sequence. It is highly recommended that you cap your email frequency. Sending out endless emails in one drip sequence will hamper your brand image. It may lead to unsubscribes or spam reporting which will have a negative impact on your email sending reputation.
By capping the frequency, you can ensure that you never flood the inbox of your users. Based on user engagement and activities, your users can be added to new segments automatically. Since for each segment you have a separate drip sequence planned, it ensures that your emails continue to be relevant and updated. P.S. Make sure you have only those contacts for your email segments who have agreed to receive updates over emails.
Another important aspect of email campaigns is doing A/B testing. A/B testing helps in identifying which email content or template design or format works best for your brand. Sometimes a slight change in header placement or modification in call-to-action button color can have a drastic effect on your email performance. A/B testing can be of email content, elements, layout. colors, design, or subject lines. You need to test multiple variations to see which one works best.
An email campaign lets you identify and later segment:
Email campaign performance is easily measured using detailed email campaign reports based on email opens, click-through rates, etc. Inside Aritic PinPoint, you can create various email campaign reports –
- Create reports on failed emails
- View contacts that visited a website page from emails
- Contacts that clicked on email
- Contacts that have unsubscribed from a specific email
- All contacts that opened an email
You can also schedule an email report. You can create custom reports from Aritic PinPoint and can also schedule the same to be delivered to the participants over email on certain intervals automatically. Additionally, you can also generate conversion reports for your email campaigns.
- Understand the difference between the number of emails sent and the number of contacts in a campaign
- Create anniversary automation campaigns
- Using Google Analytics and Facebook Pixel Ad Event integrations
- Understanding Actions, Decisions, and Conditions inside email automation campaign builder
- Understanding email spam traps
- Handling email bounces
- Managing email delivery in the first 30 days of Aritic PinPoint
- Unable to track email opens, click-throughs, and contacts that visited the website
- Handing email delivery issues
For more troubleshooting help, check our detailed guide here.